Monday, December 16, 2013

The first challenging leading of pitch

I remember well the day in which I lead my first challenging route outdoors. I have been leading before, but somehow i was decided to experience this new type of rock - conglomerate. I cnnvinced some couchsurfers of mine to join me in this experience and I opted for Montserrat - an amazing bulk of conglomerate formations. It was a challenge for several reasons: First it was a type of rock, which I touched for the first time. The first ten meters felt easy - the rock was saying "welcome". Secondly the bolts were old and far away from each other. In the middle of the route a slightly more vertical passage came on which, the distance to the next bolt was almost three meters. I held my breath and very carefully опипвайки the surface of the sun-warmed rock and choosing pinstaikingly my steps among the bigger stones sticking away, I managed to slide rope in the quickstep. I felt so much relief. The last 5 meters, I thought it would be easier, because the slope got less steeper, but I did not take into account that stamina is a crucial factor - my legs were "telegramming" so intense, that I thought they are swapped for somebody else's legs. I pushed this very little last control I still got over them and with a sigh stepped over the last bulk. After I was standing up there, for the first time my calves hurt more than my forearms. This was a sign I was starting climbing with the right technique. It is so different outdoors, so much aspects are unknown - facing the unknown was the real challenge.

No comments: